When is the Right Time to Bring Your Child to an Orthodontist?
Several indicators suggest when your child may need to see an orthodontist.
To ensure that you make an informed decision about your child’s oral health, you must understand these indicators and learn about the benefits of beginning the process early.
As one of the best orthodontists in Glen Mills, we would like to help you with this process.
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that parents should take their children to an orthodontist at an early age of 7 to 10 so that prominent space issues can be identified.
Teeth can be straightened with braces or Invisalign between the ages of 10 to 14, with proper evaluation and an effective treatment plan.
Here are a few issues that you should keep track of:
- Overcrowding, the occurrence we see due to the difference in the size of teeth and jaw
- Overbite, the vertical overlapping of upper front teeth above the lower teeth
- Underbite, the protrusion of lower teeth beyond the upper front teeth
- Biting issues
- Misaligned teeth
- Deformities in the teeth and jaw due to thumb sucking
- Lisp while speaking
Benefits of Going to an Orthodontist early
An early treatment plan can ensure that your child does not suffer from significant issues later on.
A short list of benefits:
- There’s enough space for new teeth
- Reduced time for orthodontic treatment
- Boost in self-esteem
- Better facial symmetry
- Sufficient space for the unerupted tooth
- Easier treatments and speedy recovery
Being an experienced orthodontist in Chester Springs, Dr. Swiatek gives you more reasons as to why oral problems should not be left to be fixed as adults.
- Reduced Chances of Tooth Decay: Not brushing and cleaning your teeth properly leads to tooth decay. A child may not understand the repercussions of letting bacteria grow in their mouth right now. It is your job to teach them to follow a proper procedure.
When a child does get braces, they begin cleaning their teeth more often and better than before, thus increasing the odds of healthier teeth.
- Improvement in Speech: Teeth are known to play a crucial role in how consonants are articulated and how the air is modified while speaking. Living with misaligned teeth is one of the primary reasons that children cannot talk properly.
- Safety from Periodontal Diseases: Increased hygienic practices like flossing and brushing correctly can reduce the risk of your child suffering from gum disease. You do not want the tissue that holds their teeth in place, to get infected. Braces that are given by an experienced orthodontist ensure that the teeth are spaced correctly.
Depending on the condition of your child’s teeth, there are several options that can be explored to fix them.
- Metal Braces: These braces can be considered to be the most popular kind amongst children since they can be customized. These traditional braces are comfortable and small, and use metal brackets and archwires to ensure your child has straight teeth at the end of the treatment.
- Ceramic Braces: The clear ceramic braces are fragile when compared to metal braces, but are just as effective. Children need to take care of these braces in terms of cleaning because they are translucent.
- Iconix Champagne Colored Brackets: With sufficient durability and aesthetics, these braces offer children and teenagers a cosmetic system that they will love. Children will not be required to take extra care of these brackets.
- Invisalign: Made with 3-D computer imaging technology, these clear aligners are for those children who do not want people to know they’re wearing braces. These are to be removed when your child eats, drinks, brushes their teeth, and flosses. This is the best alternative to any other braces in the market and is suggested by all the experts.
Get in touch with us, one of the best orthodontists in Chester Springs, to see which method is best suited for your child.
Maintaining oral health from a young age is very crucial, and this is why you should take your child to an orthodontist early in their life.
Swiatek Orthodontics has been in the field of creating beautiful smiles for children, teenagers, and adults. We understand you, which is why we make sure that we combine the right portions of education and personal care, and provide you with the best possible orthodontic treatment. We want you to experience a healthy life with the right kind of orthodontic treatment, including braces and Invisalign. Talk to us today!